The Kindle Connection

Friday, March 4, 2011

Dangerous clouds: Why critical digital literacy matters

OK, here’s the situation. I was watching TV the other night, and heard about a new danger: Hydrofluoric acid (HF). Hydrofluoric acid can travel swiftly in huge clouds, and cause horrible death to anyone in its path, according to a report by The Center for Public Integrity. With 50 oil refineries in the US still using HF, more than 16 million people are in the potential path of HF – most of them unaware of the danger they face. The friendly and concerned TV anchorperson advised checking the map on The Center for Public Integrity Web site for more details.

I don’t usually follow up on such things. But noticing two oil refinery plants that appeared to be very near where I live in the center of the country, I decided to check it out. I couldn’t find a map on the Web site. But I did find an Excel spreadsheet of the 50 oil refineries. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the headings on the Excel spreadsheet to appear, or get the scroll bar to show up, so I couldn’t make sense of – I assume – valuable and free information. I never did like Excel, and I forget everything I learn about it. But I shouldn’t. Excel is apparently here to stay, at least for awhile.

I still don’t know if I’m in the path of HF. But maybe you can figure out if you are.

1 comment:

  1. Please post the url of the Excel file and I will attempt to convert to a readable format so the visitor of criticaldigitalliteracy.blogspot.com can have the necessary information to determine the path of HF moving forward. Thank you for such a informative and highly public safety important issue. Its nice to know that critical digital literacy is continuous even for the contributors to the blog.

    ReplyDelete